Obstacles or limitations are those things that you have dealt with or are dealing with in your life, or they may suddenly come upon you as if by accident or because of a change in circumstances.
But you don't have to be a prisoner to these limitations, and they don't mean the end of the world. For instance in the world of art, although absolute freedom can be an expansive and glorious thing, sometimes even the most original and creative of ideas arise from solving a certain problem. Facing challenges and limitations will force you to use every resource in the most imaginative way. If viewed in a healthy way, limitations can inspire you to come up with a masterpiece, a creation so remarkable that it will leave your audience speechless.
Limitations come in many shapes and sizes. Apart from the more obvious health problems and financial problems, other limitations are limited to energy or time, credentials or knowledge and even reduced opportunities in a career path because of factors like age, economic background or even gender bias. These are some of the most common limitations you will have to face in any field.
Other job limitations take the form of 'perceived limitations'. Feelings like self-doubt, fear, inadequacy, and nervousness can creep up on the best of us, making you feel that you aren't as good as you really are. These feelings act as limitations and can hinder our progress just as surely as a physical limitation can. Each and every one of us has encountered certain experiences - whether good or bad - since our childhoods. There will be times when someone or other will tell you that you are a quitter or a loser, which in turn will firmly imprint itself on your psyche and keep you from achieving your goals.
But limitations, even job limitations, can be overcome, and you will be able to find various examples of people who have managed to do so. Someone once said that "even when we are limited, we still have the capacity to push back the boundaries of our limitations".
How to Overcome Job Limitations
To what extent are you willing to go to in order to push back those limitations? Here are ways to overcome job limitations to experience success and progress in your career:
• Always be realistic about your aims and abilities. Accept those limitations and get started from there, instead of moping in a corner. Self-pity and defeat are two of the biggest limitations you will face in your job.
• If you are feeling limited by the circumstances surrounding you, then come up with alternative options to overcome them. In this process, you will open up new opportunities for yourself.
• Challenge your limitations. Play it like you would play any game and don't use it as an excuse to diminish yourself.
• Value your inner talents and abilities and use them to the fullest. Create your own principles and values instead of striving to someone else's expectations.
• If your limitation come upon you unexpectedly, make sure you deal with the setback first and then move on.
Challenging situations in a workplace can be nerve wracking and intimidating, and at times you'll feel extremely discouraged. But if in spite of feeling discouraged you continue to move forward, your successes will far outnumber your setbacks and when looking back on how you dealt with them, you will feel exhilarated.
We always have a set of choices laid out before us. We can either allow our limitations to hinder us, or we can allow them to inspire us to achieve great things in life. So, what is your choice?